I have had a draft blog post lingering for many months addressing some of the issues and concerns with community surveillance, particularly in light of Limerick’s “Smart CCTV” scheme which, I believe, will be a model for a national network of community surveillance.
Quite a lot has since been written (and spoken) about the issue so I include links below to various reports and discussions about the scheme, and some other schemes around the country.
The Data Protection Commission is about to conduct an examination of public sector CCTV schemes nationally. The results of this will be interesting, particularly if one is to interpret anything from the recently-published proposed list of activities that will require a data protection impact assessment under the GDPR (I suggest that one should).
Given the commencement of the GDPR and Data Protection Act 2018, and the forthcoming examination by the DPC, one would think that they State authorities might pause these systems so that a national approach to them could be put in place before expanding their scope further. The opposite seems to be the case.
- Limerick Hinterland Study: Smart CCTV Pilot ¦ Report to the Limerick Joint Policing Committee 25 July 2017
- Limerick Smart CCTV location maps
- Data Protection Commissioner raises CCTV concerns with Garda ¦ Irish Times 16 November 2017
- Does blanket CCTV coverage really provide security? ¦ Irish Times 16 November 2017
- Duleek use of CCTV to fight crime based on flawed logic ¦ TJ McIntyre, Irish Times 20 November 2017
- 44 high spec Smart CCTV cameras being installed in 14 County Limerick towns ¦ Limerick City & County Council 29 November 2017
- CCTV system expanded to 14 Limerick towns ¦ Limerick Post 29 November 2017
- Community CCTV schemes raise concerns over data protection ¦ Irish Times 26 February 2018
- Limerick council taking legal advice on aspects of CCTV project ¦ Irish Times 26 February 2018
- Data Protection Commissioner to investigate State CCTV schemes ¦ Irish Times 1 March 2018
- Limerick’s smart CCTV scheme ‘will bring police state to Ireland’ ¦ The Times (Ireland) 7 March 2018
- Could new CCTV in Limerick violate privacy rights? ¦ Limerick Today 13 March 2018
- Smart CCTV cameras to be rolled out in County Limerick ¦ Limerick Leader 18 March 2018
- Smart CCTV in 14 towns and villages in Limerick to go live ¦ Limerick Leader 24 March 2018
- Mick Wallace TD, speech during second stage of Data Protection Bill 2018 ¦ Oireachtas.ie 18 April 2018
- UK police use of facial recognition technology a failure, says report ¦ The Guardian 14 May 2018
- CCTV funding for local authorities continues despite inquiry ¦ Irish Times 11 June 2018
- Cardiff resident launches first UK legal challenge to police use of facial recognition technology in public spaces ¦ Liberty 13 June 2018
- We must keep watch on growing use of CCTV ¦ Rossa McMahon, The Times (Ireland) 14 June 2018
- Police face legal action over use of facial recognition cameras ¦ The Guardian 14 June 2018
- Are new CCTV cameras in Limerick County a breach of privacy? ¦ Limerick Today 15 June 2018
Other background information
- Data Protection Commission guidance on CCTV (pre-GDPR)
- Data Protection Commission issues draft Data Protection Impact Assessment list for public consultation ¦ 6 June 2018